Friday, October 6, 2017

Some Self-Introspection Here

And because I mentioned it in my latest book review, here are my thoughts as I dived into my memories.

One of the big questions I had been asked since R's diagnosis, and the subsequent light bulb moment people have when they realize that, yes, I also exhibited the same behaviors as a kid, was "How did you get over it?"

I usually answered with, "I have absolutely no clue."

Now, I can say it's because I had people around me who accepted my idiosyncrasies, my quirks. When R was newly diagnosed, my husband told my mother-in-law that it's turning out that I might also be on the spectrum. Her reaction was pretty much, "Well, that explains her odd behavior in high school. But she turned out really well."

And I have these people to thank.

My parents, though we didn't always see eye to eye especially in terms of fashion and grooming, and with the lack of information on SPD and even ASD, who treated me like an ordinary child. Who provided my sisters and I with swimming lessons (I started at 6 months old and now I swim like a fish) and tennis lessons as a teen. Who signed me up for piano, guitar and voice sessions. Who encouraged us to take ballet lessons (until my paternal grandpa found out and set down the banhammer for reasons I don't really get).

My brother, who always accepted me as his big sister, was never ashamed of my quirks, and loved me for who I am.

My husband, who back in high school, stood by me even when everyone else bullied, belittled and mocked me. Who loved me no matter what and made me feel safe.

My Auntie V and Uncle R, who always tells me they love who I am, and that no matter what, I am special in the eyes of God.

Uncle J, who loved me like a daughter despite already having two of his own, and his wife Auntie D, who never dismissed my ramblings as nonsense, but took me seriously and listened when I needed someone to confide in.

My childhood friend S, younger daughter of Uncle J and Auntie D, who loved me as a friend and a sister even though she lives halfway around the world from here.

My maternal grandparents, who never let a day go by without letting me know they love me. They've since left this plane, and I miss them dearly.

My favorite cousins LML, AL, O, and LRL.  Another part of my family who didn't see me as weird or anything of the like.  These four siblings are amazing, and superbly talented.  They moved away when I went to university, and I do miss them buckets.

Another cousin H, who was always like an older brother and advised me in any way he could.

My elementary school science teacher LS, who was never too busy to listen to my concerns, and even inspired me to take on the teaching profession.

My university professors SG, WI and MW.  The first one encouraged me to be the best teacher I can be.  The latter two were my art professors, who pushed me to explore my techniques and find my own style.

My mentor and partner LCL when I was teaching, who was a wonderful encourager and pushed me to spread my wings, that I was capable of so much more than I thought I was.

My supervisor JLC and boss HKV, principal of the school I worked in, who were always so understanding of my quirks and flaws, but were not afraid to be honest with me when I messed up.

All of my former colleagues in the pre-school department, who were amazing people and encouraged me to become a better teacher and person.

And of course, my little circle of friends. These people have been with me in varying degrees, but they've been instrumental in me learning to cope, unknowingly, with SPD.

I met LMC at 12, before he introduced me to his best friend (who eventually became my hubby) at 13. He was one of the very few guy friends who's still sticking around to this day, and he's also R's godfather.

Around the same time, I met sisters N and L. They've also been with me since, although we didn't really get close until I was in university when I became really good friends with JT, their cousin. N is also R's godmother.

Speaking of JT, we're not on speaking terms anymore, because we drifted apart, but I cannot deny that she was also an instrumental part of my coping. I met her in my second year of university, before I studied overseas, and she's was the first person to proudly declare me as her BFF. No girl's ever done that for me before then, and it was a huge boost to my self-esteem.

Studying overseas caused me to make more friends who were more accepting of my quirks compared to most of my schoolmates in high school. I met ALK, V, C, S, K and Z, and these girls are absolutely amazing. I miss them a lot, as well as our hangouts and study times.

But while I was there studying, N and L introduced me, online, to a couple more friends.

AA was N's college buddy.  We've since lost touch, but I've always appreciated her for being so friendly and accepting, quirks of mine and all.

And last, but certainly not least, JC.  She's a longtime school friend of N's, and we hit if off really quick.  We lost touch at one point but reconnected a few years later.  I am so thankful to have her as a friend, she's just as amazing, along with LMC, N and L, as part of our little circle who not only accepted my strange behaviors without reservation, but are now rallying behind hubby and me as we try to give R all the opportunities we can give.

I thank God for each and every one of you.  Thank you for making my life so much richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes I Like