Friday, October 13, 2017

Book Review: The Loving Push

Book Cover

Just yesterday, my sister and I were discussing about how a lot of people were making claims about curing autism.  We both agreed that autism is not something to be cured, but that it's something that needs to be managed and accepted.

And because of that conversation, my mind went back to Temple Grandin, when she said that the "world needs all kinds of minds".

So here it is, the second book my brother got for me.  It's also, thus far, the last book I have to read (though I do have another one on the way, it just hasn't arrived yet).

And how was this book?

Two words.  Inspiring.  Practical.

The Loving Push is co-written by Grandin and Debra Moore, a psychologist who works extensively with patients on the spectrum.  Unlike The Autistic Brain where you hear Grandin talking more so than her co-author Richard Panek, in The Loving Push you hear more from Moore and eight people in differing levels on the spectrum.

In seven chapters, Moore has discussed a lot of concerns parents have for their ASD children, how she feels that it is necessary for parents to push these children to become more than their labels/diagnosis.  The authors discuss the necessary steps to factor in the success of a child, teen or adult on the spectrum and breaking bad habits in Part 1.  In part 2, they talk about stretching the child outside his or her comfort zone, dealing with anxiety and depression, social difficulties, and even the dangers of compulsive gaming, as ASD males tend to be more at risk for this.  Lastly, in part 3 they stress the life skills that are crucial in preparing a person on the spectrum for independent adult life.

This is an easier read compared to The Autistic Brain, but it was also really rich with a lot of information.  The small stories of the eight ASD patients, as well as their parents, relatives, even neighbors and teachers, help to give my mind a quick break while I'm reading through a chapter.  That said, it was still filled with a lot of tips and information, that I found myself needing to take this book slowly and digest whatever knowledge that was being presented.  As a result, I found that I could only really read one chapter a day.

A little sentence written here early in the book really resonated with me as I've been seeing this as an emerging pattern in terms of families with special needs.  As Moore and Grandin so effectively put it, "One common denominator was that each person profiled [in this book] was encouraged and 'stretched' just outside their comfort zone by at least one adult in their life."  And I agree.  Parents, adult caregivers, who refused to allow their children to become prisoners of their labels and diagnosis tend to lovingly push said children to become more than that.  These same caregivers are also the ones that refuse to back down against the odds, advocating for their special needs child and fighting to give said child every opportunity they can give.

I want to be that for R.  I pray I can be that for him.

This book gets 4.75 out of 5 stars from me. The Loving Push can be purchased here from Book Depository for US$ 19.95 or PHP 1,025.53. Shipping is free to all countries.  Alternatively, you can purchase an e-book copy from Apple iBooks for USD 18.99 or PHP 976.18.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes I Like