Friday, September 15, 2017

Officially an Autism Family

September 14, 2017.  Yesterday.  The day we officially became part of the autism family.

Looking for schools for R as he enters first grade has required us to update our documents, and one of the things we needed to do was to have an updated report on R's condition with a developmental pediatrician.

The official diagnosis is moderate autism.

The doctor is quite optimistic, as he says R has improved so much but he cannot discount his previous mannerisms.  He thinks that R can be brought to the high-functioning side of the spectrum, given that he has been receiving intervention as early as 2 years old.

He also says it's possible that I myself may be mildly autistic.

There's a lot to process here.

I haven't done that fully yet, but I guess that means there will be more resources for me to check out.  More book reviews, more internet articles to share, more information to process and learn.

It's a hard pill to swallow.  I admit that.  I suppose any parent would have a hard time.

But now I'm trying to learn not to see R through the lenses of autism.

May God help us.  May God enable and equip us.  May God grant us wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes I Like