Thursday, May 4, 2017

We're Seeing Progress!

It's a really huge thing once your silent child starts speaking.

A year ago, I read an article by Jenn Schleich, that really spoke to my heart.  R's speech delay had caused my husband and I much anxiety, and reading her article really articulated how we felt about it.
Some months ago, it popped up in my Facebook memories, and I read it again. The last part of her post really jumped out at me, I agreed so much with it. I will quote it here, in its entirety for context, and emphasis are mine.
Our speech pathologist often jokes that some day I will come to her and beg her to make him stop talking instead. It’s a joke intended to reassure, but when she says it I know there will never be a day when I say children should be seen and not heard. There will never be a day when I wish my children would just shut up. I will never again underestimate how important communication is; to talk amongst ourselves, to share stories, is to connect with another person. The most essential human ability is communication, because without it we are alone.
So, how has R been doing in the field of speech?

I am ecstatic to say that he has improved by leaps and bounds!

He can now say "Daddy" and "Mommy" really clearly.

He can also call his nanny, teachers and therapists by name.

He even calls his grandparents with the names we taught him to call.

He can now also ask for food ("Eat!") and drink ("Water!").

He also knows how to say please, thank you, hello, goodbye, good morning and good night.

Also, he has started imitating in terms of speech!  He'd ask us to say certain words, which he will repeat.  He has also started singing whole songs!  Just last night he sang the entire "Happy Birthday" song all by himself.

These little victories seem so trivial, but my husband and I are so proud of how far R has come!  Hopefully this is just the beginning and we'll be communicating with this little one sooner than we think.

Thank you to his therapists, and his teachers!  He would not be at this point without you!

Most of all, we thank the good Lord!  To Him be the glory forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes I Like